Marunthuvazh Malai aka Maruthuva Malai, Pothayadi in Kanyakumari

Ever heard of the phrase “Kashmir se Kanyakumari”?

Before the partition, “Khyber se Kanyakumari” was the phrase used to refer to the length of India. Khyber in the north and Kanyakumari in the south.

About 5kms from the southernmost point of Kanyakumari, there is a small hill and is also the last hill of the entire Indian Subcontinent called Marunthuvazh Malai (மருந்துவாழ் மலை). Medicinal Mountain is the literal English translation for Marunthuvazh Malai.

If I have to explain the Indian geography in terms of mountains, I could simply say, India has the Himalayas in the north and Marunthuvazh Malai in the south. :slight_smile:

As a kid, there wouldn’t be a single day, I haven’t seen this hill. I was always curious to know what was up there. Stories from elders always kept me away from climbing it. All thanks to my friend Nemesh, who climbed this hill 41 days straight, and also made sure my childhood dreams came true.

From the highest point of the hill, one can see the 'V’section of the Indian subcontinent on 3 sides and the super beautiful western ghats on the other. Below is a small video of this but trust me it doesn’t do any justice to what you actually feel and experience once you go up the hill. It’s best when you experience this.

According to tradition, the Marunthuvazh Malai is a fragment of the Sanjeevi Mountain, a piece of which fell here. Divine beings Sage Agastya and more recently Narayana Guru meditated in the cave up the hill.

As for as, me and Nemesh, we still don’t know why we go up this hill. But we just go. All we know is something happens to us every time we go up the hill. So, we are continuing to go. Google Location of Marunthuvazh Malai - here